Spice Girls Daily

Spice Girls Daily

Interview With Boyz Magazine



You’ve had success with the Spice Girls and as a solo artist. How is it being back?
What was great was that’d I’d had a break from being a solo artist. My life had taken a different direction with working in the theatre at Blood Brothers, becoming a mum and even touring with the Spice Girls. When I went into the studio to start this album I wanted to be courageous, experiment and work with some new people.

On your new album, The Sea, you sing in lots of different genres, like you did on Northern Star.
I’m a pop artist and always will be but I love experimenting with different genres. You have to be honest with what your voice can do. I can do a bit of pop, a bit of rock and a nice ballad on occasion. But I can’t rap. I’d love to be able to, but I don’t think that’s my forte.

There was a huge pressure on the Spice Girls to get number ones as solo artists. Has that gone now?
Things have changed. It used to be that if you made number one you were successful and if you missed the top 10 you weren’t. Now it’s more acceptable for songs to move up and down the charts thanks to downloading. It used to be about the first week sales, and then it was over.

How was working with Jodie Harsh?
We worked on about four tracks together. It was really lovely working with him. We met through a mutual friend. It’s funny – one time I’d been invited to a BAFTA party, so I said, ‘Let’s go along.’ But I’d only known Jodie as Jay, so we went out together and that’s when I first met Jodie. We had a great time together and I’m really excited for when we release the tracks.

Like Jodie, every artist has an alter ego, right?
You’re right. When you’re on stage you’re always much more outspoken than when you’re down the supermarket buying your beans.

We have a photo of you and the Spice Girls with Jeremy Joseph at G-A-Y back in the 90s. Do you remember your first shows there?
Yes. I feel like I’ve played G-A-Y loads of times. I have great, great memories. Of course it was in the wonderful Astoria, which is no longer with us. What an amazing audience. It was always a pleasure for us to play G-A-Y and of course Jeremy would never let you get away with not doing it. I’m excited to be back. It’s at Heaven now, where I’ve never played before.

Looking back at the Spice Girls, it all seemed innocent compared to now, don’t you think?
I feel that in so many ways. Now young people are so savvy because of the internet and social media. It seemed more exciting. Pop stars used to seem more glamorous and mysterious. Now with Twitter your fans are your friends.

Few people have experienced fame on the level the Spice Girls achieved. How did you cope?
It’s a really difficult thing to get your head around. It’s quite surreal, but it’s something you have to accept. It was a wonderful thing to be part of something so huge, but the aftermath for me was that I had to put myself back together. It can be such a physical and emotionally demanding time that afterwards you have to rediscover yourself again. That was my experience anyway. But all those experiences eventually help you move on and grow into someone new.

Have you got any acting gigs in the pipeline after your success in Blood Brothers?
I have ambitions to do more theatre. I’d love to work on the West End and on Broadway. I’d love to do more acting – some TV dramas. Maybe just small roles because I’m a fledgling when it comes to acting. But for the next couple of years I’m going to be focusing on this album.
 

Copyright © Spice Girls Daily All Rights Reserved • Design by Dzignine
best suvaudi suvinfiniti suv