Spice Girls Daily

Spice Girls Daily

Interview with Mirror.co.uk


Of all the Spice Girls there was something about Sporty – aka Mel C – that always seemed to say ‘What you see is what you get’.

With her gangsta gold tooth, tattoos and trademark baggy trackie bottoms, the tough Liver Bird seemed the most real and most confident of the Spice Girls. And even after the band, her no nonsense kick-ass tomboy image was one she maintained.

So it was a bit of a shocker when we saw the cover of her album The Sea – her first in four years and since giving birth to daughter Scarlett, who’s now two and a half.

Not only does her body look hotter than ever – partly down to training for the Virgin Triathlon where she was the first woman to finish – but, boy, has she spiced up her image.

Her usual defiant rock-chick pose is replaced by a shot of her seductively walking out of the surf in a skintight mini-dress, and sporting a pout that would make Posh proud. Ursula Andress eat your heart out.

The surprises don’t stop there. When Mel, 37, arrives for our rooftop photo shoot, she’s wearing a thigh-skimming, candy-striped, silk tunic dress and studded gladiator sandals. She’s carrying a huge sports bag which she opens to reveal several pairs of skyscraper Jimmy Choo shoes she’s brought to wear for the pictures. Sporty has come over all Girly Spice.

No sooner has she sat in the make-up chair than she’s proudly showing me footage on her phone of Scarlett jumping up and down to the video of the Spice Girls hit Viva Forever. And Mel, who’s been with property developer Thomas Starr for nine years and has recently hinted she may finally get married, reveals it’s Scarlett who’s behind the new her.

‘To say Scarlett’s changed my life is an understatement,’ she beams. ‘It’s like she’s given me a new lease of life. I’ve really changed since I’ve become a mum. I feel much more confident and courageous in myself. And I think part of that is I have this wonderful daughter who I just want to be proud of me.

'Often you have to be really brave to make things happen and now I’m braver. So after Scarlett was born, when I had the opportunity to work in theatre in Blood Brothers, something I probably would have shied away from before, I was like, “No, I’m going to do it.” The same with the Triathlon.‘


With 10 million solo album sales under her belt, her own record company and a prestigious Olivier nomination for her first theatre role in Blood Brothers, you almost wonder if she’s having a laugh when she talks about having struggled with her confidence before becoming a mum. But she’s deadly serious.

‘I don’t know why I’ve lacked confidence in the past, maybe it was just youth,’ she shrugs. ‘It’s tough when you’re in your 20s and you’re finding your way in the world. I think confidence comes with age. And, yeah, I guess I am a bit more in touch with my sexier side. It all stems from this extra confidence boost I’ve had through becoming a mum, really. I feel good in myself, everything feels right and I just need to go for it and not be afraid.‘

Listening to her now, it’s hard to believe she once fought depression, eating disorders and battled with her weight after the band split.

‘I really do believe that’s part of my past now. Those things I went through over 10 years ago were very much a reaction to what was happening with the band. We had a wonderful time, but it was gruelling, exhausting and our lives had changed beyond the realms of normality. All of that took its toll.’

But did she ever worry that the illness might dog her again? Taking a deep breath and smiling she says, ‘You know, I’m not silly and who knows what the future holds? But I feel like I did recover from that phase in my life and it taught me a lot about looking after myself and avoiding the pitfalls. So I hope that doesn’t rear its ugly head again.

‘When I was pregnant I was made aware that people who have suffered from depression in the past are more likely to suffer post-natal depression. With depression there are times when it’s the boss. You can become the boss and beat it, but there were points where it was beating me. Luckily I was able to get well and I’ve laid that to rest. I wasn’t going to be beaten again.‘

Although she was the last of the Spice girls to become a mum, she’s relishing the fact Scarlett has a whole new extended family in the children of her bandmates.

‘The kids all spend time together. When we do get together, really what brings us together is the children. We try to spend their christenings and birthdays with each other. It’s really important for us that the children grow up together. I’m probably the closest to Emma. We all stay in touch and we see each other when time allows.’


And she finds it hilarious that Emma Bunton, Victoria Beckham and Melanie B were all pregnant at the same time recently.

‘I suppose me and Geri are lagging behind a bit,' she giggles. ‘It’s been lovely for them to be in touch and go through that together. I was in LA for two days and I caught up with Melanie and her big bump. And I popped in to see Victoria the night before she had Harper. All the family were there – her mum and David’s sister and all the kids. They were so excited.’

And it doesn’t take much for her to admit she’d ‘wannabe’ pregnant again.

‘I think about having more children. I come from a large, complicated family and I’d love Scarlett to have a sibling. Again, you never know what the future holds, but it’s definitely something I’d like to happen.’ Whatever else happens in the future, one thing is for sure – she needn’t worry about not having left a legacy for Scarlett to be proud of.

Stylist: Lara Myall assisted by Eileen Röell. Photographer: Ray Burmiston. Hair: Neil Wooley from Percy & Reed. Make-up: Karin Darnell at One

Source : Mirror.co.uk
 

Copyright © Spice Girls Daily All Rights Reserved • Design by Dzignine
best suvaudi suvinfiniti suv